Whenever children are not able to safely remain at home with their parents, a relative who is willing and able to provide care for the child is the next best alternative.
Benefits to Relative Caregivers
The Florida Department of Children and Families makes Relative Caregiver Benefits available to assist family members in caring for their relative children. These benefits include: monthly financial support, day-care benefits for children under the age of 12 and Medicaid health care benefits. These program benefits are available to relatives who meet eligibility requirements outlined below.
Monthly Financial Support
Only age, income and assets of the child are considered when determining eligibility and payment amounts. Monthly payments for children with no countable income are as follows:
- Age 0 through 5 - $242 per child
- Age 6 through 12 - $249 per child
- Age 13 through 17 - $298 per child
In order to receive the benefits and financial support, the following requirements must be met:
- Child must be a US citizen or qualified non-citizen;
- Child must be a resident of Florida;
- Child must have a social security number or proof of application for one;
- Child's countable assets must be equal to or less than $2000;
- Relative caregiver must be within the specified degree of relationship to the parent or stepparent of the child;
- Child's net countable income cannot exceed the payment standard for the child's age (see payment amounts above);
- Caretaker relative must cooperate with child support enforcement to identify and locate the non-custodial parents, assist in establishing paternity and establishing support payment for the children;
- Child under age 5 must be current with immunizations; and
- Children age 6 to 18 must attend school.
For more information on Relative Caregiver Benefits, please contact (321) 752-4650 or visit the following web site: http://www.dcf.state.fl.us/ess/tanf.shtml
To apply for FL Department of Children and Families Relative Caregiver Benefits, please visit the following web site: http://myflorida.com/accessflorida